Wednesday, October 26, 2005

No On Proposition 73

Yes, I am a Republican. Yes I support Governor Schwarzenegger. Yes, I am concerned about abortion and have a hope it would be rare if used at all. But I also believe that sometimes there is a time for government to butt out, and in the case of Proposition 73, this is no place for government to butt in.

Proposition 73 would require minors seeking an abortion to get parental consent. In theory, I have no issue with this. But we don't live in a theoretical world.

So many teenage girls are living in horrific and abusive environments. For whatever reason, they become pregnant and could literally find themsleves dead at the hands of a parent or other family member. Having an abortion could be their only option for survival.

I don't believe abortion is the answer for all teenage pregnancies or even most. But there are a small handful of cases where its a matter of last resort, and life and death. I don't want to leave this decision up to the government.

Below, is a very compelling case against Proposition 73 is made by Dawn Alger, wife of Assembly Candidate Jim Alger. Her personal experience drives home what an ill conceived idea Proposition 73 is. Even if you oppose abortion personally - as I do - please think this one through.

October 5, 2005 - Northridge, CA - In a surprising move earlier today the wife of State Assembly Candidate Jim Alger came out against Proposition 73.

Dubbing it the "Incest Protection Act" Dawn Alger, a sexual assault survivor, railed against the Proposition stating that it forces teens that are already in a bad situation, into a worse one.

"I know what it is like to be a victim of incest" Alger said "When I came forward I was 19 and married. My attacker came after me and anyone who supported me for years. To this day my family continues to pay as a result of that. While I wouldn’t do anything different I had a place to go, what would have happened to me if I was 13 and under his roof?"

"Every parent wants their children talking to them. I have a 13 year old and I want him communicating with me, but it isn't the job of the government to force that communication. It is our job as parents to keep those communication lines open with our children."

Alger said she is coming forward publicly out of a feeling of duty.

"I faced my attacker and although it was difficult and came at a high price, I had the support of my husband. There are many young, scared girls who have the option now of going to a friend, teacher, social worker, or counselor, this Proposition removes all of that support structure and mandates one individual be notified. This removes control from a rape victim who is already struggling to regain control of her life that was lost during the attack. Forcing a victim to ask the very person who may have gotten her pregnant for counsel is not the answer. It just isn't safe."

When asked about the portion of the Proposition that allows a minor to seek a court hearing in lieu of parental notification, she responded doubtfully.

"Forcing a scared teenage girl to go to a court, which is scary in the best of circumstances, won't work. Assuming she gets to court, once she is there she has to prove with "clear and convincing evidence" that she is a victim of abuse. What should she do, bring in a signed confession from the man who raped her? That is just absurd."

"This proposition is nothing more than a group of misguided people attempting to force their will on the most vulnerable of our children, those who have been victimized already. I intend to fight for them." she concluded.

Proposition 73 will be on the Statewide Ballot on November 8th 2005.

No comments: